The Ruby Dee Legacy of Sisterhood Scholarship is made possible by a generous donation to the Delta Research and Educational Foundation (DREF) by Dr. Francene Breakfield and L. Denise Wells, longtime members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and the co-authors of An Anthology of Sisterhood.
Applicants must meet the following guidelines:
The $1,000 merit-based scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving African American female student who is either a junior or senior collegiate or a graduate student majoring in English, Literature, Drama, Art, Music, African American Studies, Communications, Education, Fine Arts, Performing Arts, or Visual Arts.
- Currently attend an accredited college or university on a full-time basis.
- Be enrolled as either a junior, senior or a graduate student.
- Must have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at the undergraduate or graduate level in one of the disciplines listed above.
- Demonstrated community service and leadership skills – which is clearly reflected in recommendation letters.
- Applicant must have permanent residency (home address) in a state that is part of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority’s Southern Region or Eastern Region. Preference will be given to applicants from Georgia and New York.
Please feel free to print the sample application as a reference before completing your application on-line.